Similar to a car’s gas gauge, hunger is the body’s way of letting you know you’re low on fuel. And because you wouldn’t put diesel into a vehicle that requires gas, what you put into your body is important. Filling your body with the right nutrients will help you perform at your best. The same principle applies to kids. Feeding them nutritious snacks can boost their performance in school and sports.
Nutrient Basics – these nutrients are a must for a high-performing human engine.
- Carbohydrates are found in whole grains, fruits, vegetables and dairy. During various activities, they fuel the brain and provide energy to working muscles. Also, these foods are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals to keep the heart and muscles in tip-top shape.
- Protein from lean meats, eggs, cheese, beans, and nuts provides staying power. Protein also aids in muscle recovery after exercise.
- Fats, specifically poly and mono-unsaturated fats, found in fish, avocados, olives, nuts, and seeds, can provide a brain boost to students and over-worked adults. Fats also lubricate working joints during activity.
Power Snack Ideas – food combinations to fuel the most active kids and working adults.
- Snack mix of pretzel twists, almonds, and dried cranberries
- Fruit with hard-boiled egg
- Cheese, olive, and fruit kabobs
- Apple or banana with a packet of peanut butter
- Greek yogurt topped with berries and chopped walnuts
- Whole grain cracker and almond butter ‘sandwiches’
- Baby carrots with hummus
- Applesauce squeeze and Jennie-O turkey stick
- Turkey and hummus rolled in a whole wheat tortilla
- Popcorn with Babybel Cheese
- True Goodness Energy Bites (recipe below)
True Goodness Energy Bites
Makes approx. 26 bites
- ½ cup True Goodness by Meijer Creamy Peanut Spread
- 1/3 cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup True Goodness by Meijer Old Fashioned Oats
- ¼ cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 2/3 cup True Goodness by Meijer Organic Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 2 Tbsps. True Goodness by Meijer Organic Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl until well combined.
- Roll into tablespoon sized balls and place in the refrigerator to set for 30 minutes.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.
Nutrition Information (per bite): 96 calories, 6g fat, 3g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 2g protein