Shopping for gluten-free products may be intimidating at first, but we can help you identify and find delicious gluten-free options. Meijer has also expanded its offerings, so there are more foods to choose from.
Below are some helpful tips to help make shopping for gluten-free products easier:
Start with naturally gluten-free foods
- When planning your menu and shopping list, start with the wide variety of naturally gluten-free products. These include all fruits, vegetables, lean meat, poultry, seafood, nuts, eggs, and most dairy products.
Seek out the gluten-free sections and grains in the store
- Every Meijer store has a specific section of shelves dedicated to gluten-free specialty products both in the grocery aisles and in the frozen department. You’ll find crackers, pasta, baking mixes and more. There are also more gluten-free options throughout the entire store.
- Don’t neglect delicious and nutritious whole grains. There are numerous gluten-free options including brown rice, millet, buckwheat, quinoa, teff, cornmeal, grits, polenta, sorghum and amaranth.
Look at the label for help
- Look for the Certified Gluten-Free logo on products – from the Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) or the logo from the Celiac Sprue Association. Products with these certifications contain less than 5 parts per million (ppm) of gluten.
- Look for the words gluten-free on products. The FDA standardized gluten-free labeling in 2013 to protect people with celiac disease. A food labeled gluten-free must contain less than 20 ppm of gluten. This law applies to all FDA-regulated foods including dietary supplements and imported foods.
- Many of our True Goodness™ by Meijer™ also call-out gluten-free on the front of the package if it is a gluten-free food.
- Read the ingredient label. Rule out anything with wheat, rye, barley or oats (unless the oats are labeled gluten-free).
Contact the company to clarify and search for products
- Visit Meijer.com to see what gluten-free products are available at Meijer. Enter your term(s) in the search bar located at the top right of the page.
- If in doubt, you can call the manufacturer. Companies often have toll-free consumer information hotlines with knowledgeable representatives who are happy to help you.