There is nothing more comforting than shepherd’s pie, meatloaf or hearty beef stew to warm you up on a cold winter day. You can enjoy healthier versions of your favorite comfort foods by making simple ingredient substitutions to cut the calories, fat, and sodium while keeping the flavor!
One way to cut down on fat and calories is by blending in mushrooms in your favorite comfort foods while boosting the nutrition and stretching the meat to save money. See how much you can save with the blend calculator. Mushrooms add nutrients like vitamin D, potassium, b-vitamins and antioxidants. Try blending half a pound to a pound of mushrooms in your burgers, fajitas, meatballs, or tacos.
Add a serving of vegetables to your plate with this veggie filled twist on classic meatloaf. Sautéing the mushrooms and mixing them with the ground beef adds an umami rich flavorful punch.
Garden Mushroom Meatloaf
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced*
- 1 red bell pepper, diced*
- 8 ounces True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Mushrooms, minced*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef 90/10
- ½ cup True Goodness® by Meijer™ Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 True Goodness® by Meijer™ Organic Extra Large Brown Egg
- ¼ cup egg substitute
- 4 tablespoons ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray 9×5-in loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté the onion until translucent about 3-5 minutes. Add in the bell pepper, mushroom, garlic and cook for another 3-5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, oats, eggs, 1 tablespoon ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Fold in the veggies.
- Empty the mixture into the baking pan, and shape mixture into a loaf form with your hands. Spread remaining ketchup on top of meatloaf.
- Bake until browned and meat inside is thoroughly cooked for about 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 160°F.
- Remove from oven and cut into 6 slices.
Time-saving tip: Use a food chopper/processor to mince mushrooms. Pick up pre-cut onion and bell pepper in Meijer produce department.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 222 calories, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 78mg cholesterol, 431mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 22g protein