If you’re having a busy morning and don’t have enough time to pack a well-rounded lunch, a salad (or a smoothie!) is an easy alternative. They’re quick to put together, and you can feel good that you’re making a healthy choice. It’s still important to be mindful of what you’re putting on your salad; adding too much dressing or cheese can add unnecessary calories. Fortunately, at Meijer, you will shop fresh and choose from homegrown produce so you know your salad will be ultra healthy (and delicious).
Following are five quick salad ideas for a healthy and filling lunch:
- BBQ: Toss 1 bag of romaine lettuce with 2 cups of shredded chicken. Add 2 chopped apples, and ½ cup of sliced red onion. For the dressing, mix ¼ cup of light or fat-free ranch, ¼ cup of honey and BBQ sauce.
- Mediterranean Shrimp: Combine 1 bag of mixed greens with 8 ounces of cooked shrimp. Add 4 ounces of reduced-fat feta, 6 ½ ounces of drained artichoke hearts, ½ cup of Kalamata olives and 3 sliced plum tomatoes. Pack each serving with 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinaigrette olive oil.
- Caribbean: Toss 1 bag of spinach with 1 sliced banana, 1 8-ounce can of drained pineapple, ½ cubed mango, ½ cup of sliced radishes, ½ cup of sliced cucumbers and 8 ounces of imitation crab meat. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of mango vinaigrette on top.
- Thai Beef: Mix 1 bag of romaine lettuce with 8 ounces of roast beef and 1 large bell pepper cut into strips. Add 1 peeled and chopped cucumber, 4 thinly sliced green onions and 1 14-ounce can of drained bean sprouts. For the dressing, mix ¼ cup of light Italian dressing, 2 tablespoons of lime juice and 1-2 tablespoons of Thai fish sauce.
- Mexican Fiesta: Toss 1 bag of spring greens with 1 15-ounce can of chili with beans, ½ cup of low-fat shredded cheese, 2 tomatoes cut into wedges, ½ cup of sliced black olives and 1 cup of crumbled tortilla chips. Finish off each serving with 2 tablespoons of salsa verde and/or avocados, which is a refreshing summertime addition.
Note: To maintain peak freshness, divide these salads into four separate containers with the dressing on the side.