Summer is in full swing and families are packing up and headed to the woods for some technology-free fun. There’s nothing like a good campfire meal when after a long day in the fresh air hiking or canoeing.
These tasty and healthy meal ideas are perfect for a campfire or to take with you on the trails before you head out!
Food Safety Tips for Eating Outdoors
- Wash hands thoroughly and frequently. Use an antibacterial gel when soap and water are limited
- Keep cold foods cold. Have adequate ice and replenish often. Use perishable foods first. Find tips for packing a cooler
- Use a food thermometer to make sure meats are cooked to a safe eating temperature. Chill leftovers immediately
- Keep food preparation equipment and area clean and sanitized
- Dispose of waste promptly
Outdoor cooking is simple with hobo tinfoil meals. You can enjoy a one-dish meal without too much prep work and easy clean up.
What You’ll Need:
- 8 large sheets heavy-duty foil
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 pkg. Meijer fresh pre-sliced mixed bell peppers
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 (6 oz.) pkg. McCormick® Fajita Skillet Sauce
- 8 whole wheat flour tortillas
- Spray foil sheets with cooking spray; top with chicken, peppers, onion and sauce. Fold to make packets.
- Grill 15 minutes or until chicken is done or internal temperature reads 165°F. Serve on tortillas.
Source: Adapted from www.mccormick.com
Kabobs cook in a snap! You can skewer different combinations of meat, fruit/vegetables with your favorite sauce or seasonings. You have everything you need for a balanced meal right on the kabob!
|meat/seafood||fruit/veggies||sauce/seasonings||cook time (mins)|
|Chicken breast cubes (cook to 165°F)||bell peppers, mushrooms||McCormick® Grill Mates® Montreal Chicken seasoning||10-15|
|Shrimp (cook until it turns pink)||pineapple, red onion||Low sodium teriyaki sauce||2-4|
|Pork tenderloin, cubes (cook to 145°F with 3 min rest)||zucchini, yellow summer squash||McCormick® Grill Mates® Belgian-Style White Ale||10-15|
No Cook Ideas
If you’re tired out from a long day in the sun or the rain came through and made starting a fire next to impossible, making wraps or sandwiches are healthy and easy dinner alternatives.
- 1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed)
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Diced tomato
- Diced cucumber
- Greek dressing
- Wheat pita bread
Combine all ingredients in wheat pita bread
Chipotle, Avocado, Turkey Sub
- 1 onion
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 loaf of hearty multigrain bread (12-inch) from Meijer bakery
- ½ lb. deli oven roasted turkey slices
- Chipotle flavored cheese slices
- ½ cup shredded romaine lettuce
- Slice onions and tomatoes
- Mash avocado and spread on multigrain bread
- Compile sandwich on multigrain bread
Do it Yourself Trail Mix
If you’re hitting the trails, don’t forget to pack a snack. Try one of these trail mix recipes that will pack in the nutrients and give your family the energy needed to climb that mountain.
- Heart Healthy Trail Mix
Combine ½ cup Meijer Walnuts, ½ cup Meijer Cashews, ½ cup Meijer Almonds, and ¼ cup sunflower seeds. Add ½ cup Meijer Raisins for a little hint of sweetness.
- Chunky Monkey
Combine 2 to 3 cups honey-wheat pretzel twists, 1 cup dried banana slices, 1 cup Meijer Lightly Salted Peanuts, 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, ½ cup peanut butter chips.
- Cheese’n Apples
Combine 2 cups whole-grain cheddar goldfish crackers, 2 1/2 cups mini pretzel twists, 1 cup dried apple rings, 1/2 cup Meijer Lightly Salted Peanuts.