February can be a tough month to stay on track with your diet. The Big Game, Mardi Gras and other mid-winter get-togethers often lead to situations where fatty, carb-filled or just too much food are the only options available. If you’re heading to a friend’s place or planning a soiree of your own, make sure to provide healthy options that both you and your guests will enjoy.
Instead of the classic, not-so-thrilling veggie or fruit platter, why not create a fresh mix of bright colors that coordinate perfectly with the theme of your party– whatever that may be? A grape, kiwi and pineapple fruit salad perfectly complements your Fat Tuesday party, creating a colorful mix and making your Mardi Gras fete anything but fat.
Another fun option for hosting The Big Game is dressing up your food for the occasion. If you’re feeling crafty, create a fruit bowl by carving a watermelon into a football helmet. Prepare a guacamole dip in a baking pan, drawing field lines with cilantro and players with cherry tomatoes. Or prepare a loaf of wheat bread in the shape of a football for a special game day treat.
Roasted Green Chili & Lime Cheesy Hot Bean Dip
Makes one 8×8 inch pan (approx. 20 servings; ¼ cup per serving)
- 4 ounces Meijer reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 ½ Tbsp. homemade taco seasoning, recipe follows
- ½ cup Meijer reduced fat sour cream
- 1 (16-ounce) can True Goodness by Meijer organic roasted green chili & lime refried beans
- 1 Tbsp. Meijer Organics dry parsley flakes
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green onion
True Goodness by Meijer organic yellow corn tortilla chips, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment to combine the cream cheese and taco seasoning in a bowl on medium speed for 1 minute. (Can also use hand mixer). Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the sour cream; mix on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Add refried beans, dried parsley and hot sauce to bowl and mix to combine.
- Add in shredded cheese and green onion and mix on low speed just to combine.
- Pour dip into a greased 8×8 inch baking dish and bake for 30 minutes or until bubbly and hot.
- Serve hot with yellow corn chips.
Nutrition information per serving: 79 Calories, 5 g Fat, 5 g Carbohydrate, 1 g Fiber, 4 g Protein, 207 mg Sodium
- 2 Tbsps. Meijer Organics chili powder
- ¾ tsp. Meijer Organics garlic powder
- ½ tsp. Meijer Organics onion powder
- ¼ tsp. Meijer Organics red chili flakes
- ½ tsp. dry oregano
- 1 tsp. Meijer Organics paprika
- 1-½ tsps. Meijer Organics cumin
- 1 Tbsp. salt