When it comes to healthy snacking we all want to put our best fork forward and spear some tasty nutrient-rich, energizing foods. Snacks should fill nutrition gaps and provide the fuel that helps us through spring activities, including sports, cleaning or road trips. March is National Nutrition Month and here are some delicious and refreshing ideas to help you snack better:
Spring Sports Teams
Many parents and coaches are trying to create a healthier team snack culture to support their young athletes’ growth and development. Below are some of our easy favorites that combine a protein source and a healthy dose of carbohydrates.
- String cheese and clementines
- Homemade trail mix in baggies – whole grain cereal, almonds, raisins, pretzels
- 100% juice boxes and True Goodness Energy Bites
Road Trip Fuel
If you’re hitting the road for spring break, make sure you pack your own healthy supply of road snacks. These wholesome munchies will help ward off the temptation for candy and fast food stops.
- Baby carrots and whole grain pita chips with Hummus
- True Goodness™ by Meijer cheese cubes with fresh apple slices
- Cups of fresh berries and kids yogurt tubes
Longer and brighter days help motivate us to tackle our to-do lists. If you have yard clean up and spring house cleaning on your agenda, you’ll need to keep your energy up with some of these nutrient-filled snack ideas.
- Banana, strawberry smoothie – blend together True Goodness™ by Meijer vanilla soy milk, fresh banana slices and frozen whole unsweetened strawberries. Add a touch of honey if desired.
- Nut butter on whole grain crackers and fresh melon cubes
- Banana Crunch Muffins
No matter the activity, now you and your family can snack better for National Nutrition Month.