It’s easy to get bored using the same foods in your favorite recipes, but a new vegetable has hit the produce section to help us get out of a recipe rut. Kalettes® are a nutrient-packed hybrid of kale and Brussels sprouts using traditional breeding techniques. These small bunches of kale-like leaves are less bitter than Brussels sprouts and have a slightly nutty flavor, making them perfect for easy-to-make recipes. Try some of our tips below:
- Use raw as a salad base just as you would any other leaf. Top with all your favorites.
- Throw on a pizza for the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- Sauté Kalettes® to add to scrambled eggs, omelets or frittata (recipe below).
- Grill Kalettes® on skewers or vegetable basket tossed with olive oil and desired seasonings.
- Making a stir-fry? Add in just before taking from heat for a heartier meal.
- Add to smoothies for a nutrient boost.
- Roast Kalettes® (10 minutes at 450°F) for a fiber-rich side dish or tossed into pasta.
If Kalettes® are your new vegetable of choice, make sure to try out this delicious frittata recipe:
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 3 ounces Kalettes®, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated Parmesan (optional)
- In small bowl, add eggs and beat. Add water and mix to combine. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet over medium, add olive oil and onion. Sauté onion for 5 minutes. Add Kalettes®
,; cover and cook for 4 minutes. Add tomatoes and toss with onion and Kalettes®. Cook all ingredients together for 2 minutes. Add eggs to skillet; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes. Use a spatula and lift edge and tip pan to let egg run underneath to cook all the way through if top is not set after 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Finish with grated Parmesan if desired.
Nutrition Facts per Serving: 165 Calories, 12g Fat, 6g Carbohydrate, 1g Fiber, 8g Protein, 100mg Sodium