With the kids heading back to school, mornings are about to get a little bit hectic. Preparing breakfast ahead of time will make it less stressful and you will be able to provide a nutritious meal you feel good about feeding your family.
A nutrition-packed breakfast will give you and your family the energy to perform better, both mentally and physically. When planning breakfast, include these food groups:
- Whole grain cereals, breads, tortillas, granola, oats or quinoa
- Protein (eggs, nuts and nut butters, soy-based products, lean meats, hummus, lentils or beans)
- Fruits and veggies (beans also count as a veggie)
- Low fat or nonfat dairy such as yogurt, cheese, or milk
Whole grains and fruit will provide quick energy, antioxidants and fiber. Low fat dairy and protein will keep you satisfied longer and veggies are chock full of antioxidants, fiber and Vitamins A and C. Combine at least three food groups to make a balanced breakfast like fruit + whole grains + protein/dairy. Here are some make-ahead breakfast ideas you can prepare on the weekend or the day before.
- ½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Old Fashioned Oats
- ½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Greek Yogurt
- ½ cup blueberries (or fruit of your choice like raspberries, strawberries, pineapple, banana, mango, papaya)
- 1 tablespoon True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Roasted Almonds with Sea Salt or other nuts, flaxseed or chia seeds or nut butters
- ½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Lowfat Milk (soymilk or almond milk)
- In a mason jar, layer oats, yogurt, blueberries and nuts, if desired. Add milk.
- Cover tightly with a lid. Shake until thoroughly combined.
- Refrigerate overnight. Enjoy it cold, straight from the fridge.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 361 calories, 7g fat, 2g saturated fat, 11mg cholesterol, 104mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 27g protein
Apple Zucchini Mini Muffin
- 1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon True Goodness™ by Meijer™ ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Honey
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 1 large True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- ½ cup grated Piñata Apple
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in bowl. Set aside.
- Mix honey, yogurt, egg and vanilla in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix until just incorporated. Fold in zucchini and apple.
- Spray mini muffin pan with cooking spray and fill ¾ full. Bake 15 minutes, or until toothpick is inserted and comes out clean. Remove from muffin pan and let cool.
Source: Adapted from Produce for Kids
Nutrition Information (per serving): 141 calories, 1g fat, 24mg cholesterol, 247mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate, 2g fiber, 5g protein
Serve with hard-boiled egg, lowfat cheese cubes, and mini sweet peppers.
Cherry Peanut Butter Breakfast Bars
Makes 15 bars
- 2 cups True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 cup ground flaxseed
- 1 ½ cups True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Creamy Peanut Butter or nut free butter
- ¾ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Honey
- 1 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 8 by 11-inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving excess paper on edges.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and spread into dish. Press firmly. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Pull on parchment paper to remove from baking dish and cut into 15 bars while still warm.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 282 calories, 14g fat, 2.2g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 2mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 8g protein
Serve with True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Lowfat Milk.
Spinach Mushroom Mini Quiches
Makes 8 mini quiches
- 1 tablespoon True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 4 ounces True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Extra Large Eggs
- 1 1/3 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Low fat Milk
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms and cook stirring often for 5 minutes until soft. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach and cook until spinach is wilted. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, black pepper and cilantro. Stir in cheese.
- Divide the veggie mixture evenly between the muffin cups. Pour egg mixture over veggies.
- Bake until the quiches have risen and set, 12 to 15 minutes. You can store mini quiches in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To freeze, wrap mini quiches in plastic wrap and then store in a resealable plastic bag or airtight container.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 88 calories, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 57mg cholesterol, 86mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate, 1g fiber, 6g protein
Serve with True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Toasted Multigrain Bread, Strawberries, and True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Low fat Milk.
Make-Ahead Freezable Turkey, Mushroom & Kale Burritos
- 2 teaspoons True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 16 ounces Sweet Italian Turkey Sausage (3 links), remove from casing
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped kale
- 3 True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Omega-3 Large Eggs
- 2 ¼ cups egg substitute
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 14 8-inch whole wheat tortillas
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook 5 to 8 minutes, or until cooked through. Transfer to plate and set aside.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté pepper, mushroom
,and onion for 3 to 5 minutes or until softened. Add kale and cook 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Scramble eggs and pepper in large bowl. Add to pan and cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, or until eggs are set.
- Remove from heat and mix in sausage. Let cool.
- Fill tortillas with ½ cup egg mixture, roll into burrito and lay seam-side down on a parchment line baking sheet. Freeze 1 hour, transfer to freezer safe resealable bag and return to freezer.
- To reheat burritos, remove from freezer, wrap in paper towel and microwave on high 1 to 2 minutes until heated through.
Nutrition Information (per serving): 220 calories, 6g fat, 63mg cholesterol, 575mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate, 4g fiber, 14g protein
Serve with True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Mango Smoothie.