Cinco de Mayo is a day to commemorate Mexico’s victory over the French at the Battle of Puebla. Celebrate Mexican heritage and give your Cinco de Mayo party a south of the border flavor with traditional Mexican food, mariachi music, and brightly colored decorations. Consider creating a taco bar to make entertaining easy and delightful for your guests.
- Fiesta Bean Dip (Order from Meijer Deli)
- Meijer Southwest Salsa (from Meijer Deli)
- True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Blue Corn Tortilla Chips
- Adobo chicken (see recipe below)
- Beer-marinated skirt steak (see recipe below)
- True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Canned Vegetarian Refried Beans
- Store-made guacamole
- Store-made pico de gallo
- Salsa verde (in ethnic aisle)
- True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Thick & Chunky Salsa
- V&V Supremo Queso Fresco (crumbling Mexican cheese in Meijer deli)
- V&V Supremo Crema (Mexican sour cream in Meijer deli)
- Fresh lime wedges
- Shredded lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Diced onion (pick up in Meijer produce)
- El Milagro corn tortillas
- Purple Cow Caramel Ice Cream (Dulce de Leche)
- Vasos de Fruta con Chile (Mexican fruit cups with chile)
- Order from Deli: Fresh Fruit Frenzy Salad (watermelon, cantaloupe, pineapple, and mango. Ask the Meijer deli to slice fruit in thick strips.)
- Place fruit strips in cups and sprinkle with Tajin chile seasoning (in ethnic aisle).
- Place a lime wedge on rim of cup for guest to squeeze lime juice on fruit.
- Klass Horchata (rice and cinnamon drink mix)
- Jarritos Tamarind Soda
- Jose Cuervo Margaritas
Adobo Chicken Tacos
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken (from Meijer deli)
- 2 tablespoons McCormick® Perfect Pinch® Mexican Seasoning
- One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup True Goodness™ by Meijer™ Organic Orange Juice
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 12 corn tortillas
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium heat. Add onion and sauté for four minutes. Add chicken, Mexican seasoning, tomato sauce, orange juice and vinegar. Cook on medium heat for five to 10 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Remove from heat. Serve chicken on warm corn tortillas.
Source: Adapted from McCormick
Beer-Marinated Carne Asada Tacos
- 2 pounds skirt steak, sliced into 3-to-4 inch sections, trim fat
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Two 12-ounce bottles of beer
- 1 white onion, sliced
- Juice of 6 large fresh limes
- 16 corn tortillas
- Store-made pico de gallo
- Season each steak slice with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, combine steak slices, beer, onion and lime juice. Cover and marinate for one to eight hours.
- Grill meat on one side until brown and slightly charred, about three to four minutes. Turn the steak over and cook to medium-rare doneness, about three to four minutes longer.
- Fill each tortilla with meat. Top with pico de gallo.