Starting your day on a positive note sets the tone for next 12-24 hours. We all have so many challenges coming at us and multiple tasks to manage that makes it crucial to use this time to our advantage. Ease into the day with a sense of clarity, creativity and optimism by implementing some of these helpful tips:
- Set out your clothes and your kids clothes the night before – one less thing to think about.
- Start the day with a short meditation. Even 5 minutes can help. Check out the Calm or Insight Timer Apps to get you started.
- Get some movement – go for a short, brisk walk with the dog or do 10-20 minutes of yoga.
- Make a list or use a calendar system and make that your guide for the day so challenges and surprises are less likely to happen.
- Shower the night before – minimize what has to happen in the morning.
- Connect with your family/loved ones in a positive way – have breakfast together or make time for a quick check-in on the upcoming events of the day.
- Organize food/meals the night before. Prep breakfast so you can easily grab and go. Pack lunches. Defrost anything for dinner the following night or load slow cooker and put into fridge.
A positive morning also includes a healthy, well-rounded breakfast that consists of a high-fiber carbohydrate source along with protein/fat. Try some of these great suggestions:
- Whole grain toast topped with cottage cheese and chopped almonds
- Whole grain toast topped with avocado and chopped walnuts
- Whole grain toast topped with a nut butter and sprinkled with ground flax seeds
- Cooked whole grain (oatmeal, quinoa, faro, etc) topped with fresh or dried fruit, nuts, seeds
- 2-3 eggs/egg whites scrambled with 1 cup chopped veggies sautéed in 1 teaspoon olive oil with 1 piece whole grain toast
- ½ whole wheat bagel with light cream cheese, 3 ounces smoked salmon, spinach
- ½ whole wheat bagel with 1-2 veggie sausage patties OR 1-3 ounces of turkey or chicken or lean roast beef and ½ slice cheese melted on top
- 1/2 cup cottage or ricotta cheese with 1 cup berries (raspberries, blackberries, strawberries or blueberries) topped with 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- ½ cup cottage cheese with tomatoes and arugula topped with 1 teaspoon olive oil with whole grain toast
- 1 scoop protein powder mixed with 1% or skim milk, soy milk or water, 1 cup frozen fruit, 3 large handfuls of micro greens and 1 tablespoon nut butter
- Overnight Oats – ½ cup oats, 1/3 cup milk, 1/3 cup Greek yogurt, 1 teaspoon chia seed. Add flavorings – cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, maple syrup or honey, nuts/seeds and fruit
Not only will these tips help you start a better day, but you’ll be off to a better New Year.